We are asking schools to commit to a two-year contract, at the rate of $5,000/year. For that, we need 25 participating schools that will be part of the consortium that provides the following:
- Each participating school will have the ability to reserve for in-class use a block of guaranteed sessions to allow for use of the virtual computer lab for face-to-face instruction
- Additional outside of class reserved access to the shared facility will be possible for some uses, and unreserved seats will always be available on a first-come, first-served basis for students or faculty wanting to use course software
- In addition to supporting the use of specialized academic software on virtual machines, LabSTOR will provide access to high performance computing resources
- Build their own images (with support from the community)
- Provide a project manager
- Manage software licenses with vendors
A more detailed description of the pilot project can be found here .